[pianotech] Follow up report on BB Mason and Weickert felt

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 08:44:52 MST 2009

David L And David I.
 Good post D.L.
  David I..... Yes they have a cushion. These new Weickert felt hammers are quite different than any previous Ronsen product because of the amazing felt. Also keep in mind that this also the final version of the felt that has been refined over two years. So you haven't heard anything like this yet.
   I do believe that there is even more to be had later by some judicious needling of the cushion area and the cup line but only after some break in period. I have sustain,dynamics,clarity and acoustic power with out harshness so why needle?
 I would call these hammers a hybrid or crossover but they didn't cross the line into the range of having to needle, needle.  David I., Please come and hear it your close enough. Its very concerto-ish sounding right up to note 88 with no stiffeners added. It is sweet and warm at PP & don't translate that as muddy or dark. This is a very clear and present sound.
 David I. There is nothing  wrong with more modestly densified hammers where you can shift certain felt stiffness around to achieve what you like. My most common experience is that they rebound to an unpleasant level. Way too often, as David L. said, the over needling can render them less than optimal. I often go thru the cushion building process and find very little change. Even after moving up higher on the shoulders I still find I have the nasty percussive sound and end up doing some fairly aggressive crown voicing to get any change.
  What my ears like and my experience of hammer construction tell me is that the more densified hammers have a very hard mass of felt over the under felt which extends quite high up toward the crown and as long as that is  too stiff the tone stays to percussive. The Weickert felt has a more uniform density thru out. A felt powerful non-linear spring
 With Ronsen hammers I have a predictable tone and procedure with stability.
   Tone is tone, how you get it doesn't matter. How you get stability does.
  Dale