[pianotech] Faulk tuning hammers

byeway222 at aol.com byeway222 at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 15:08:34 MST 2009

The Charles Faulk tuning lever is super.  It's not just the stiffness  but
the light weight.  The number of times you lift a lever from one pin to
another on one tuning is considerable and for tuners who are gradually
experiencing a few of the aches and pains which come with advancing years, this
reduction in weightlifting is surely welcome.   Whilst on the subject  of this
particular tool,  can someone tell me why levers are constantly and
unthinkingly referred to as 'hammers'.  Does this come from the  time when most
tuners actually used T hammers?  (I still use one for oblong  tuning pins and
for tapping in the occasional loose pin with a pin  setter).  Do any of the
new lever designers refer to their tools as  'hammers'?   It actually annoys
me as much as piano owners referring  to their pianos as 'she'.  Bijou rant
over.!

ric