[pianotech] key leads

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Dec 17 15:20:38 MST 2009

Don't like that idea of grinding them for reasons mentioned also it doesn't
really solve the problem.  The leads are expanding and need to be removed
before they split the keys, if they haven't already.  Whether you press them
out or bang them out you need to support the wood around the lead to prevent
chipping, it doesn't really matter the method.   But they should come out
and be replaced.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

That put a lot of lead dust in the air!

dp

I would agree that banging out the expanding leads would risk some chipping
out of the key material. I use a Harbor Freight arbor press for lead removal
and rig up an "anvil" with a hole slightly larger than the lead to support
the wood and minimize the chipping.

Tom Cole

David Ilvedson wrote:

If I was to change the leads, I would just replace not re-weigh the action.
This is an old Apollo grand (beautiful Mission case with 6 legs...not a
player)...I'm going to give owner the option of replacing.   None of the
keys are cracking yet...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044