[pianotech] Faulk tuning hammers

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:49:28 MST 2009

    Tuning hammers are called "hammers' because at one time, the
opposite end of the tuning head (the part that faces up when the
lever is on a tuning pin) was used for driving in loose pins in
harpsichords and early fortepianos.  I've used mine for the same
purpose on occasion in pianos if my pin punch and hammer are out
in the car.  It would be nice if that part of the head were more
like a hammer head.  The way they make them now -- just a 1/4"
diameter smooth, flat face -- doesn't really work that well for
driving pins.  I suppose one could cut cross-hatched grooves in
the surface to give it a little more gripping power, like the
face of a framing hammer.  But then, not many people use it for
its original purpose.  The tool that has a tuning socket with a
handle on it is better -- allows you to keep the string from
unwinding when you drive it in.
    And regarding tradition:  traditions arise out of habits and
customs.  Somebody didn't just up and "unthinkingly" start to
call them  hammers just to be weird.  They were used for
hammering as well as for turning tuning pins.
    There was an article in the Journal about this very subject,
but nobody seems to remember old Journal articles, even the ones
that present etymological evidence that the word "wippen" dates
back to the 1700's, and that it was spelled with no 'h.'  But
nobody reads or remembers articles and they continue to use
"whippen' -aaarrgghh!
    --David Nereson, RPT