[pianotech] lowest note on Imp. Bosey and DC install

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:10:46 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Diane Hofstetter
<dianepianotuner at msn.com>wrote:

> John,
>
> There's this neat little chart from Wikipedia (they have a pretty good
> write-up on the Boesendorfer pianos too, better I think, than the company's
> website.
>
> Model Length Keys
> 130CL Upright 88
> 170 5' 7" 88
> 185 6' 1" 88
> 200 6' 7" 88
> 214 7' 88
> 225 7' 4" 92
> 280 9' 2" 88
> 290 "Imperial" 9' 6" 97

Today I was at the church that has the Bosie mentioned in a previous post.
It's 9' 6" and has 92 keys. Pix attached. So ... there is at least one of
the 9.5 footers with "only" 92 keys. :-)

> I just finished installing a DamppChaser system in a Bosey 290 Imperial.
>  NOT a fun job!  The DC company said it would take about 2.5 hours to
> install.  Now, I know I'm getting up there in age (63) and slowing down, but
> it took me 6 hours!  The first four components I installed all had to be
> done differently than DamppChaser's layout said to do--they wouldn't fit.

I've installed 3 dual humidifier systems. The schematics from the website
provide a general idea, but all that is subject to change according to what
actually fits in the piano. The pianos were Steinway B, Steinway D, and
Baldwin L.  All were between-the-beams installs. Only the first install took
over 2.5 hours, including the undercover. The other two went much faster.

> Now I can't wait to see if it stabilizes the piano.  it has been all over:
> way sharp in summer, fall and early spring and flatin the latter half of
> December.

It surely won't hurt matters any. I'll be interested in reading your
findings.

--
JF