[pianotech] winter spinet

Warren & Cindy Stieg wscs75 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 11:00:55 MST 2009

In my experience, while the Henry F. Millers do sound chintzy, I find
that they stay in tune well and are not all that hard to tune.  Most
of them are spinets, although yesterday I tuned a console, and though
it apparently had not been tuned in a long time, it was pretty well up
at A-440 in the lower sections, although the treble was pretty far
out.  I've found that a lot of other brands of spinets don't hold up
that well.  Miller owners seem to be happy with their pianos.  I
haven't tuned many Winters.  They're just not that popular in my area.
 I see mostly Wurlitzers, which I like, and Baldwins of one variety or
another, and lots of Kimballs, which are not my favorites, but tune up
pretty well.  I'm not fond of Schwander actions.
Warren Stieg