[pianotech] spinets

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 19 12:04:03 MST 2009

Hi Warren,

I almost didn't see your post about spinets.  These posts to me are so confusing because there are so many many many.. repeats, I cannot determine which ones are new and which ones are not.  I hope no one is hitting the reply button when writing on here.  By the time I scroll way way way down, I find the newest entry, or typically miss it lol  so If someone writes and I don't reply, I probably missed what you sent.

This Henryy Miller I tuned wasn't too bad once I got it tuned.  But man it was horrible when I started.  It was at least a half tone flat.  Suprisingly, I was able to get a decent temparement on it in the second tuning and it actually was a little too above pitch when I finished the pitch raise, but the trebble fell more.  the bad thing on this piano was a couple of the "spinner' type of tuning pins fling back when you bring them up to pitch.  I'm not sure if tapping them in will work because the coils sem soo close to the plate, may have to put a tunign pin bushing in.

Is a Henry Miller a piano worth putting work into major work that is?  I told her if the piano was of sentimental value, we could do work on it, but upgrading might be best if her kids are going to keep taking lessons.  I did this in a kind an d gentle way of course telling her it was up to her.

I like customers like her.  I took my time of the pitch raise fearing the worst because a friend of mine has the same piano and two strings broke on his when I tuned it before I went to the Piano Hospital to train.  So I was extremely cautious.  all and all the piano tunred out pretty decent bass was tubby.  Actually, I was able to get a better temperament on it than I did on an Acrosonic I tuned at the piano Hospital amazingly.  and she even gave me a tip, money that is not a tuning lever tip.  :-)

Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com