[pianotech] cantilevered bass dampers

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Dec 19 21:03:13 MST 2009

Greetings List,

I recently tuned a 1986 Samick SG-155 that's been tuned only twice in the last 23 years...  Mine being the second of those!

Other than the pitch raise, etc. there seemed to be a problem with the dampers.  As I didn't have enough time to resolve it that day, we've set up a time in early January to resolve the issue.

Here's what it is...

The bass strings are not fully dampened at anytime.  The bass notes just sort of resonate for 5 seconds or so before damping.  The treble section from the bass/tenor break all the way up C8 works just fine.

Here's the unique part...

When I push on the sustain pedal, the treble section dampers rise evenly and right when they should.  However, the bass section comes up at an angle.  A0 comes up first followed in order all the way up to the break.  With the sustain pedal fully depressed, the tenor/treble section is level and uniform, but the bass section is cantilevered with the lowest end dampers (A0) being higher above the wires than the dampers at the top end of the bass section. At the low end, the dampers are close to 1.25 -1.50 inches above the wires.  At the upper end of the bass,near the break, the dampers are only about 1/4 of an inch above the wires. It's pretty much diagonally linear between the two ends.

I haven't pulled the action yet and this is my first Samick grand.  Are the damper sections split on these?  Is there something particular I should be looking for when I pull it apart?  I'm pretty sure I can figure out what's going on once I'm in there, but I wouldn't mind a heads up from anyone who's dealt with this before. Tools, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC
Murrieta, CA

rob at mccallpiano.com