[pianotech] My "3 Kimball Day" easily trumps Winter spinets

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 21 20:13:35 MST 2009

Funny!  Cute story.  Lucky you!  :)

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Michael Magness
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 8:07 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: [pianotech] My "3 Kimball Day" easily trumps Winter spinets

I recently had new piano teacher, new to me, I hadn't tuned for her or heard
of her before, call and ask if I would come to her town about 30 miles away
and tune her piano if she arranged for a couple of her students and her
church piano to be tuned as well.

All should understand that I go to small towns like this frequently, usually
scheduling my own day so when she offered to schedule a day for me it didn't
require any arm-twisting.

On the appointed day I arrived at her home to find her Kimball studio,
pre-furniture company era, it had been her mothers, with the Kimball version
of Billings flanges, several of the hammer butt bushings were loose, some to
the point of the hammers flagpoling wildly. I tuned it, fixed what time
would allow and what was most necessary and arranged to return for more
serious repair.

She directed me to the church which had a used grand that had been donated
by a member who had purchased a newer, better grand. My alarm bells were
jangling, she asked me to check the D above middle C as it didn't play very
loudly.

My alarm bells were right, the "grand" was Kimball LaPetite, prior to them
naming them that, complete with that horrible compact U3 Pratt Read action
with the "floating" repitition spring! The D was so quiet because it was
striking 1 of the 3 strings with a letoff of about an inch or more. I
removed all of the 12 or 14 screws required to remove the action at which
point the accumulated dust, dirt, dead flowers, guitar picks, etc, etc. from
about 30 years came sliding out with the action. I repositioned the hammer
after reshaping it, adjusted the letoff not to spec since it then would have
been too loud, put the action back in and tuned it.

Prior to leaving her home she had given me a map to the 3rd home, the 4th
had dropped out so I only had 3 for the day, because she was leaving and the
last people weren't going to be home until after 3.

I headed for their home and found it, country folks give great directions,
the husband was there and showed me in to the Kimball spinet.

It had a seperation in the back structure extending from the treble all the
way to the end of the tenor section and some minor seperations in the
pinblock. It was 1/2 tone flat in places and more in others. It had at
minimum 3/4" of dip and more although the keys looked remarkably level. I
gave him an estimate to bolt it back together level and dip keys and tune it
2 maybe 3 times, he heats with wood, it was almost 75 degrees inside the
house. He asked how soon I could do it.

I tuned the Kimball spinet the second tuning today, it's already bolted,
keys leveled & dipped, it will need a 3rd tuningin about 3 weeks. The
teacher is waiting until after Christmas for the rebushing work.

They haven't asked about anything else on the grand and I'm not offering,
'cept maybe a match!  (grin)

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com
email mike at ifixpianos.com

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 091222-0, 12/22/2009
Tested on: 12/21/2009 10:13:35 PM