[pianotech] Deck the halls with universal bass strings

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 01:12:20 MST 2009

I think that is interesting that you very seldom have a problem...could it have
omething to do with where you live?   Don't they have to send strings by
ubmarine to islands?
David Ilvedson, RPT
acifica, CA  94044

Actually, I've been using universals for a long time, even when I was in St. Louis. Like John F, they were mostly for the "cheaper" pianos, although occasionally, in a pinch, they were put on better pianos.

Here in Hawaii, it would cost a minimum of $25 to have a string sent here. If I have to send a sample, it would double that price. And it takes a week to 10 days, each way. But I don't have too many upper end pianos in my file, so most of the broken strings are in lesser quality pianos, and get a universal.