[pianotech] hot glue gun?

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 22 23:35:16 MST 2009

I can tell you one place where you definitely don't want to use hot glue.  I recently had a new customer who was unhappy with the sound of her Steinway M.  It turns out that a less than capable local technician had replaced her hammers with supply house hammers attached with hot glue.  Needless to say, it was the most dead, lifeless Steinway you've ever heard.  The one good thing about it is that this technician is NOT a PTG member and he refuses to accept that he could use the help and training available to him through the Guild.  He has special secret methods learned from his father and the rest of us are just out of luck.  I guess hot glue is one of his secrets.

Jim