[pianotech] Reversing Crown

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Thu Dec 24 22:59:11 MST 2009

Ron,

Your experience in replacing soundboards in the rebuilding process is more
extensive than mine.  My soundboard experience is mostly in manufacturing
new pianos.  The instance that I sited was at a company with which I have
never been associated.  In any company for which I have worked, I have never
seen a new piano soundboard "oil can" immediately after being removed from
the rim.  Maybe that should not surprise me, but this one was new to me.

Regarding rim bevel, Baldwin beveled only the belly rail, not the inner rim.
Then, they insisted that it was not necessary to bevel the inner rim.  Truth
be known, they could never find a convenient way to do it, with an
integrated inner-outer rim construction, glued up in a single assembly.
What is more important to me than rim bevel is the rise and fall of the
inner rim elevation, corresponding to the curvature of the soundboard, which
also results in a higher elevation on the inside of the inner rim than the
outside of the inner rim.  Call it a bevel if you like, or call it a match
in curvature of the gluing surface of the inner rim and belly rail to the
curvature of the crowned soundboard.  In my design work, I use a 3D computer
model of the crowned and loaded soundboard to determine the inner rim/belly
rail elevations.  I use another computer model of the crowned, UNloaded
soundboard to determine the radii to cut the ribs.  The crowns of these
soundboard computer models are "football" shaped, not spherical or
cylindrical, resulting in shorter radius ribs for the shorter ribs than for
the longer ribs.

Frank Emerson