[pianotech] Reversing Crown

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Fri Dec 25 23:22:32 MST 2009

Thanks! It's the rib context that I was seeking. Also, measurement
methodology and tools?

Paul

In a message dated 12/25/2009 8:06:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

paulrevenkojones at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/25/2009 10:40:39 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> rnossaman at cox.net writes:
>
>     spring  rate
>
> Ron:
>
> Can you explain this phrase  in more detail, please.
>
> Paul

Spring rate  : Usually expressed in lbs/in, it’s the force
required to compress a  linear spring one inch. Linear springs
have a constant spring rate.  Progressive springs have
progressive spring rate that rise has the spring  load increase.

Whether you're using inches, millimeters, pounds, or  kilos,
it's an numerical indication of the stiffness of a rib. The
higher the spring rate, the stiffer the rib.
Ron  N