[pianotech] Back check reconditioning

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Dec 26 11:09:18 MST 2009

I'm working on an older S$S with back checks that can go
a little longer with some attention. I scrubbed the surface
vertically with a checkering file and the slipped an Exacto
blade under the buckskin and nicked off the top corner of
felt, 2-3 mm.

This eased the tension on the buckskin so I think checking
will be a little more positive. Fortunately the buckskin was
not stiff and the checkering softened the surface. Between
scuffing and relieving the tension, they are more supple.
--

Regards,

Jon Page