[pianotech] SAT IV extended

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 15:56:09 MST 2009

BTW I should add that many Kawais produce very low inharmonicity readings
(some Yamahas and other high tension scales as well) and the high end of
those pianos often does come in with a much lower offset, C8 somewhere in
the +25 cents range rather than around say +40 cents on a Steinway.  That
can be fine if the rest of the piano is consistent but when the F reading is
so much difference it's a red flag to check that area of the piano.
Sometimes a flatter bass as that number will produce can make the piano
sound more consonant when you are playing at opposite ends of the piano
together (low bass with high treble) but you then sometimes compromise the
bass against the mid tenor.  Let's face it, tuning is always finding the
most agreeable compromise and opinions about what that is will vary.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com