[pianotech] SAT IV extended

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 20:30:17 MST 2009

Yes, the FAC sampling is not perfect.  Interestingly, I used the Verituner
for awhile and because it produced enough outliers to have to monitor it
carefully it made me wonder if by measuring every note (as it does) it
didn't perhaps have too much information causing it to deviate sometimes in
an unpredictable way from a smoother curve.  Can't say for sure as don't
claim to be privy to the programming.  The point, however, is that whether
it's 3-note sampling or 88 note sampling problems in the calculated curve
still appear.

I think both types of customers are under a slight misconception or simply
have some bad experiences.  Aural tuners can produce awful tunings and that
might drive someone to insist on an ETD as the least worst.  Whichever
method you use, if you can't tune solid unisons it doesn't really matter.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com