[pianotech] Beginner's calibration question

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 29 07:03:46 MST 2009

SNIP

> Zoe, if your fork really is at the wrong pitch at 20C (check it against the
>  website above), I'd be inclined to buy a new one.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Boyce

David,

Why would you be inclined to buy a new one?  As has already been discussed
in this thread, it has been standard practice for decades (probably in the
hundreds of years, now) to "tune" or calibrate your tuning fork for the
temperature at which you plan on using it.  Even slight variations in
temperature will change the frequency of the fork.  Perhaps yours is at 440
at 20C, but I'll guarantee you that every piano you tune is not in a 20C
environment.  Your fork will be off in those settings unless you have a
practice for equilibrating your fork to 20C prior to setting the A.

--
William R. Monroe, RPT