[pianotech] Beginner's calibration question

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 29 12:48:18 MST 2009

That is the rallying cry!   "Remember the Beckets".  '-)

David Ilvedson
Pacifica, CA

On Dec 29, 2009, at 7:01 AM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

True, true!

It helps my dubious extant sanity to know that the vast majority of my customers will be quite satisfied with several skill levels below what I'm capable of. Not that I intentionally do shoddy work, but to OCD on certain things will drive a person to (further) lunacy. For instance, when the HVAC begins to blow on the piano during the tuning, I can't let myself obsess over fine details ... particularly when those details are changing in the process.

One thing I've noticed about piano techs: it takes a certain amount of pre-existing nuttiness to even begin this trade. Keeping that within reasonable levels as we succeed in the business is the perpetual challenge.

An Admittedly Obsessive Nut,

--
JF