[pianotech] Reversing Crown

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 08:22:03 MST 2009

I find this confusing because I would have assumed that as soon as the
soundboard starts pulling away from the strings, and negative bearing sets
in, then the strings would be *pushing* the soundboard down further, rather
than pulling up. I imagine it this way: imagine a tunpperware container with
a lid that's slightly convex - you push the sides together and it forces the
lid up higher. (the equivalent of putting on strings). Now take the pressure
off the container and push the lid down just enough to make it concave,
reapply pressure, and the lid will continue its downward path.
   Visually this description reminds us of the soundboard, but i mean to
apply it to downbearing. That is, no matter which direction the crown is
facing, the tupperware lid represents the board/bridges as a whole.
   However, being neither a physicist nor a rebuilder, i must have it wrong,