[pianotech] Reversing Crown

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 31 08:54:37 MST 2009

Noah Frere wrote:
> I find this confusing because I would have assumed that as soon as the
> soundboard starts pulling away from the strings, and negative bearing
> sets in, then the strings would be /pushing/ the soundboard down
> further, rather than pulling up.

I don't see how. Positive bearing is what supplies down
pressure. Negative bearing would pull up. The string is under
tension and trying to maintain a straight line between capo
and aliquot (or whatever).

>I imagine it this way: imagine a
> tunpperware container with a lid that's slightly convex - you push the
> sides together and it forces the lid up higher. (the equivalent of
> putting on strings).

No. Putting on strings, assuming positive bearing, will push
the board down, not raise it up, and the rim has nothing to do
with it.

>Now take the pressure off the container and push
> the lid down just enough to make it concave, reapply pressure, and the
> lid will continue its downward path.

Again, you're manipulating the perimeter, which in a piano
would be the rim. The rim has virtually nothing to do with
crown formation or support in a piano.

>    Visually this description reminds us of the soundboard, but i mean to
> apply it to downbearing.

Then where is the downbearing in your illustration? There is none.

>That is, no matter which direction the crown is
> facing, the tupperware lid represents the board/bridges as a whole.
>    However, being neither a physicist nor a rebuilder, i must have it wrong,

Yes, wrong. <G>
Ron N