[pianotech] difficult action removal

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Dec 31 15:08:19 MST 2009

Jere

You've gotten some good advice on how to remove the action brackets from the posts. Another suggestion is to try to put a big screw driver blade between the bracket and the plate, then turning the blade. Do this a little on each bracket, until you can use the screw driver blade underneath the posts, to get more leverage.

When replace the bracket, use a 12" long piece of wood, (I use a 3/4" quarter round, that I use to pick up a bunch of hammers for traveling.) and tap it on the bracket, just below the posts, with a hammer. I do this all the time, even when the action goes in fairly easy, just to make sure the brackets are seated tight.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789