[pianotech] Young Chang

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 06:47:23 PST 2009

Hi, Matthew:

     Regarding the wood piece that you refer to:  I think you may be looking at the pinblock, which sits behind the stretcher.  The stretcher hides it and the plate.  That is what you need to make sure the hammer heads are clear of.  The stretcher will be finished, but not the pinblock.  In Young Changs, there will be 3 or 4 metal plates screwed to the stretcher and pinblock underneath the front edge.

     I would say that the action brackets are definitely the culprit here.  If you have the needed expertise to replace them and do the necessary action regulation, give Young Chang a call and get a new set and replace them.  If not, ask some fellow tech to give you a hand with this.  You'll learn a lot in the process.

     Actually, you are lucky you could actually get the action out of the piano without breaking off the hammers.  A couple of times I had to unscrew the hammers from the rail and take them off before I could slide the action out.  Some have had the experience of having the drop screws dig so heavily into the pinblock that they had to destroy the brackets in order to get the action out.

     Good luck.

     Paul McCloud