[pianotech] inharmonicity in piano wire

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Feb 5 08:43:25 PST 2009

reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
> List,
>
> I just received a query from a science faculty member at the art
> institute where I work.  He asks how can it be that partials of piano
> wire are sharp of what they "should" be?  I told him that my very
> pedestrian understanding is that this phenomenon is due to the high
> tension of piano wire up to pitch, but that is just me repeating what I
> have heard "somewhere."  Is this response even close to being correct?
>  Any further clarification as to why this is would be much appreciated
> all the way around.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan Eder
> CalArts

Yup. A simplistic explanation with a little scientific jargon:

The terminus points are not infinitely flexible due to the tension. The
nodes at the termini are effectively moved to the center, thus moving
ALL nodes a corresponding amount and sharpening all partials.

My 3.2¢(before taxes) - 2¢ to you.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076