[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

Brian Wilson pianocare2 at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 6 21:12:45 PST 2009

Hi William ... and Paul

Thanks for your reply.
For the record, I am not ranting, in fact I am enjoying the experience.
You are apparently offended by my sentence that you copied. I was merely
replying to his justifying his ideas by stating he has performed thousands
of tunings. The subject matter is "do fourths beat faster" I passed on my
opinions which are yes. The fourths increase chromatically towards the
treble. I have only passed on the theoretical knowledge with an example to
back my statements. How can this subject be discussed without providing the
data to prove it?

I respect your need to back up your colleague. In fact that is something I
admire in other people. You feel the need to tell me that he is a good
technician but don't acknowledge that I too might know something. I had
already worked out that he is a good technician by his explanation of his
tuning process. I do not need to hear his tuning, as I can work out his
method and I know it works.  I do not know him personally, and I have
absolutely no need to have a problem with him. BTW I live in Australia so
how can I have a problem, and this is my 3rd post after joining on 25th
December 2008.

This subject has been answered in the affirmative by Scott Jackson (also
from Australia and BTW you should read his second post) I have just provided
the printed data for this debate. The answer in the negative has not been
adequately explained.

You write that I like the numbers. I don't think of the numbers whilst
tuning. I think of achieving my goal and getting good stability. Do you
think I can tune, or do I need to justify to the debate that I might have
performed a couple of tunings. Am I just a Math Professor having some fun? I
have been taught by both the apprenticeship and the Japanese system here in
Australia and followed up with factory training in several factories as well
as working with touring concert technicians (from different factories)With
each system and technician they teach that you must understand the process
to apply it. So how about the Yamaha tuning test... must be wrong..

So after only cutting and pasting one sentence that upset you, do you agree
or disagree with the subject. There is a saying that there are many ways to
skin a cat. I just offered my opinion and to back up the debate I provided
some data. I would like some theory on how the 4ths beat at the same speed.
I will change my tuning if I am wrong.
So to finish, this is not a rant, it is a statement of ideas and training. I
thought it was an exchange of ideas. i.e debate You took umbrage to one
sentence. I don't know how you assumed that I was attacking David.
My sincere apologies, however it was not written to offend.

Regards
Brian Wilson