[pianotech] Replacing elbows

Piano Boutique pianoboutique at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 06:26:23 PST 2009

List,

I am a little late with this post, and hope I can get an idea across.  Some times it is a little difficult to teach in an e-mail.   When I replace a full set of elbows, I use a method used by Don Simonson another very successful technician from the Piano Hospital.

First I break off the old elbows and thread on all the new ones, up to the right height, that has been discussed before at great length.

Next I put a very small center pin in a center pin handle.   This looks like a miniature Hale handle that tightens to hold a center pin.   Next I bend the center pin to a 90 degrees right angle.   Keep in mind that I put the action on a pare of action cradles and tip it forward a little.   This way, the wippens will fall forward and you can pull back the one that you want to work with.

Being right handed, I put the bent, small center pin threw the left ear of the wippen and threw the bushing of the elbow.   Next take the right size center pin and clamp the very blunt end of the center pin with a needle nose vice grip.   You will get used to the angle.   Now push it into the right ear of the wippen and continue pushing until it pushes out the small pin coming in from the left, and it will go threw the bushing of the elbow and then threw the ear on the left side of the wippen.   It will only take about a half dozen sections to get your method down and you will quickly go threw the rest of the set.

Don't push the new pin in so far the ruffed up part gets in the wippen and you can clip off the excess length of the center pins.

Hope I got my point across,

William

PIANO BOUTIQUE
William Benjamin