[pianotech] Pin Block Plugs

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Feb 11 05:27:29 PST 2009

-
>> Conrad Hoffsommer

Confession. _I_ don't actually oven dry them. I was just offering that
as a suggestion.

I use yellow wood glue, and hammer them in. In my picture, you may see
the chamfer on the top of the holes. That helps guide them in. I also
will give the plugs a flat by briefly holding them to a belt sander.
That not only gives a hydraulic pressure relief so the plugs bottom out,
but prevents complete glue starvation if they are on the large side.  I
coat the entire plug sides and bottom with glue, as well as running a
drop down the side of the hole, before driving them. The plugs I've used
seem to have plenty of open pores for the glue to hide in. It seems to
work for me. YMMV

--
Conrad Hoffsommer