[pianotech] OT: I know it's not a piano...

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Feb 14 06:45:09 PST 2009

Well it's great!  What panache and brio!

Don't you think that at least in the youtube recording, his extraordinary guitar and playing, sound a bit like Anton Karas's zither, as in The Third Man?

There is quite a discography of Joplin available these days, happily. Probably the most distinguished of all is the wonderful 1970s recording by  E. Power Biggs on his own mighty pedal harpsichord, now happily  reissued on cd in the Sony Super Hits series (with a couple of extra tracks not on the original LP). Naxos also have to CDs of Joplin, of which I have the first, played by Alexander Peskanov, and it's excellent.  There is a very good set too on the Basta label, played by Guido Nielsen. it's the most comprehensive set out, and has superb accompanying documentation. The only thing is, the piano, while decent, is not quite top-notch (or so it so sounds to me).

Best regards,

David