[pianotech] Points of adjustment

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Feb 17 03:28:31 PST 2009

On 2/17/09, Paul Tizzard <ptizzard at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This morning I was looking at the PTG site and came across the Vertical and
> Grand Action diagrams. The vertical diagram has a caption stating that their
> are 25 points of adjustment per note and the Grand has 35.
> I tried to identify them, however I came up a little short on both counts.
> Could you list them?
>
> Regards,
> Paul Tizzard
> Piano Technician
> Cape Town

Trying to visualize adjusting a paper image can be difficult. better
to have a real action or model in front of you.

That said, however, you might add adjustment points if you think of
things like upright damper and grand back check wires as having
adjustments at both the top and the bottom and they also are adjusted
in more than one plane.

Replace just one grand damper wire and you soon understand how many
adjustments can be made to just a 6" length of wire... ;-}

Happy hunting!

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT
Luther College