[pianotech] Misaligned in Montana

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 17:35:30 PST 2009

Did you travel the hammer?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943
Author of:
The Business of Piano Tuning
available from Potter Press
www.pianotuning.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Arlie Rauch <adarpub at midrivers.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:03 am
Subject: [pianotech] Misaligned in Montana

I was called to tune a new Kawai grand, and there was a complaint about one hammer. It was striking its neighboring string when affected by the una corda (only this one hammer did so). I loosened the offending flange screw, repositioned the flange/hammer slightly, and all worked well (this has often worked well in the past on other pianos). Several weeks later I hear the problem is back.?
?
I don't want to repeat the same procedure with the same unsatisfactory results. I am thinking of what should be done: shim the flange, bend the shank, remove and remount the hammer a degree different, reposition the flange again and apply locktite, etc. What will bring about the proper and lasting result? Any proper and lasting ideas??
?
Arlie D Rauch?
Glendive, MT?
?