[pianotech] Air compressor recommendations

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 22 10:29:55 PST 2009

> *My 17 gallon Imperial, 220v, belt drive compressor has seized up.*
> *I bought it in the late 70's, so I don't think fixing it would be worth
> while.*

I seized one up by running it out of oil (dumbly), rebuilt it,
and got another 20 years out of it. It still works, but the
tank has rusted through. Point being, that it might be
worthwhile to overhaul yours.

> *I am semi-retired now (71), so a super duper one doesn't really make
> sense.*
> *What are the recommendations 220V/110/, belt/direct drive, oil/oil less.*
> *It is just general shop use sand blaster, paint application etc.*
> *I guess quieter would be a plus, as I don't want to bother with a
> remote building for it.*
> *My workshop is just an 18'x24' heated garage.*
> *John Ross*

Quiet is imperative in a small shop (as is longevity), so two
stage belt drive - oil is still the way to go, most likely
220V. The replacement I bought a couple of years ago is quiet
enough to carry on a conversation without shouting, standing
right over it. You'll need a high enough CFM to run spray and
sandblasting equipment. Mine's Sears, 25 gal, 8.6cfm at 40psi,
6.8cfm at 90psi, and cost around $425USD, as I recall, and keeps
up just fine.
Ron N