[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 28 04:42:07 PST 2009

Hi Al

This brings to mind a procedure for leveling keys I've bumped into
before on occasion but never tried myself... and would love to get some
commentary on here at pianotech.  It had to do with leveling the keys in
their fully depressed position. Can anyone thoroughly expound on this ?

Cheers
RicB

    Ric, I couldn't agree more. Proper key height is the "key" the gain
    entrance to proper regulating. I have seen so many regulatings
    compromised because of
    improper key height.

    When I was a regulator at Steinway, they insisted on the proper
    backrail felt & key height. That is the reason they glue the back
    rail felt on one side only. To be able to adjust the backrail felt
    height also. Set the proper key height for each action and all other
    adjustment fall into place.

    Al