[pianotech] Tool for hammer burning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 07:53:49 PST 2009

I use the Princess heat gun.  I think it came from Schaff, and I've had it
for some years now.  Works well -- no flame or chance of combustion. :-)
Some have mentioned a smaller heat gun from Hobby Lobby (maybe from Wal-Mart
also). They are used in crafts, like melting certain glitters on greeting
cards -- that sort of thing. Seems like they were about $20.00.  I'm not
certain that they work for "burning" shanks -- just remembering what others
have said.

It would be worth a try, and the price is cheap enough.  If memory is
correct, the degree of heat (pun intended) is about half that of the
Princess gun. It is what I will try should the Princess ever be dethroned.

--
JF