[pianotech] Regulation Question

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 19:53:59 PST 2009

More than enough, thanks. :-)

Paul

In a message dated 2/28/2009 9:13:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
pianocare2 at bigpond.com writes:

I think my words have  been misunderstood. .
First, I was advising  Matthew to think more of being a technician whilst
being a technician, not as  a pianist. Then to use his abilities as a pianist to
his advantage, as the  trained fingers will always more sensitive than the non
trained. My example of  Brendal is the finest example.. he was never
satisfied with his voicings until  he did it himself or showed the technician what he
wanted. The article in  Steve Brady’s book is a good one.  Kristian Zimmerman
is another example  of a pianist not happy with his piano preparation…. Does
it all himself. With  working with pianists, we have to “translate their talk
into our technical  language and then solve their problem, and then reassure
the pianist back into  their language” At times it is not easy, and being a
pianist is a great  advantage. Just last week I had to explain the differences to
a pianist who  was selecting a piano for a concerto performance. He was not
interested in key  dip, hammer strike distance etc., he was interested in what
it sounds like,  and how it would sound in the venue, and why I was
recommending this piano. An  understanding of the pianists ability and personality, the
repertoire , venue,  size of orchestra, all helps to collaborate with others a
to make a fine  performance.
It is completely  obvious that the problem in Matthew’s piano is the jack
position.. we agree on  that... I was pointing out that the reason he found the
two different results  was actually the speed of the jack. The techniques I
described were using  different jack speeds. Pianists would describe it
completely  different.
The information  gained from the keyboard is the only way of finding out what
is going on  inside whilst the action is being used. Using different
techniques is a great  advantage. That is not the dispute.
To be blunt I was  saying…. Find problem… solve problem. We are the fix it
people.
Another way of  finding the problem is to push down on the key and place a
finger on top of  the hammer at the same time. If the jack is wrong…..it will
misfire………..That  is in my pre concert check list, with many other non musical
tests. Don’t have  to be a maestro to do that. Personally I hate playing the
piano around world  class musicians. I am definitely not there for my musical
abilities.
Hope this  explains
Regards
Brian  Wilson