[pianotech] Diaphragmizing

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 15:07:42 PST 2009

??Colleagues
?? I think that one thing we analytical's may over look in our work is the artistry?involved, which, is in large part is an acquired skill & with comes the intuitive and subjective component of judgment?thatissues forth?with the experience of installing many boards in many different spruce types,?grain orientations,panel thickness,bearing,wood hardness & pliability under the hands of seasoned craftsman.
?? The advantage that we have in small shops over a mass produced facility is that we have an invaluable?opportunity to follow?all types of belly?designs clear to the end and make up our own mind & ears as to what works or even what we think works. It is?The Musical outcome which drives the process.
???Our small Technical community?gets to shape the sound both in the Belly design & in the Crucible of voicing.
???Our Technical community?is new research & development team in the 21 st century in so many ways?That said...
? I suspect Ron is correct in that diaphramizing?may have?a greater influence on Compression type belly systems,?yet it does make sense that thinning the?sdbd. edge in appropriate areas offers more flexibility/bass response as well as overall response. I suspect the guys in the belly dept's of? days gone by were as interested in there outcomes,?were intelligent & interested in quality as we all are today.
? Dale

Ron:

?

I think there is merit in your thinking here. If one reads the patents and discussions of this from the period, there is no real compelling evidence for "effect". And the number of boards that I've replaced where the plate is indeed buried in the soundboard at the dowel argues further for this point of view. It does indeed sound more "pragmatic"?than diaphragmatic!

?

Paul

?

In a message dated 1/25/2009 11:32:52 A.M. Central Standard Time, rnossaman at cox.net writes:

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
>? ? I find most evidence of it behind the bass bridge & around the tail
> but also adjacent to the very top of the treble bridge there is a
> definite slope. The slope does not reach out toward the bridge very far.
> This slope, if not there, would allow the plate to sit partially or
> potentially on the soundboard instead of the dowells. Looks like a
> clearance issue
>?? Dale

I suspect you're right. It's odd though, that they don't just
set the plate so the string height isn't 5mm lower in the
treble than everywhere else, so they can make the treble
bridge 5mm taller (and stiffer), and get the plate off of the
soundboard in the process. Too easy?

Ron N