[pianotech] RePhoenix.....

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:21:38 MDT 2009

I first heard the Steingraeber with Phoenix system with bridge
agraffes and carbon fiber soundboard from some yards away, and thought
to myself, "This is a piano I need to examine." I was astonished to
find that the piano was about 5'2". Great sounding bass; no huge
volume of sound, but a very nice sound. Then I was astonished to be
told about the non-traditional soundboard material. I heard someone
say the keys were covered with mammoth ivory. This apparently was a
prototype with no price, again, "someone" said it was a $100K piano.
The high treble had a sound I hadn't heard before; it literally
sounded bell-like; very clear tone with long sustain but very
different. This was a very playable, very enjoyable piano; serious
pianists would be right at home with this piano. Very impressive.

Kent