[pianotech] Vertical Touchweight

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Fri Jul 24 06:17:16 MDT 2009

Hi Jeff,

I had the spring rail out when I was reworking the friction on the flanges,
but when it came to reweighting the keyboard, the hammer return springs were
all in place and functioning.  It was only the damper springs that were out
of the picture, and that because I kept the damper pedal down for the
weighting process.

After I wrote my last post, it occurred to me that it's time for me to by a
gram gauge (Schaff item 145).  I could use it to see how much force it took
to lift the hammer off the rail as it sits in its normal position in the
piano.  I could also use it to measure already-well-regulated pianos in
order to set targets.  What I like about your suggestion is that it takes
into account differences in hammer weight.

Thanks for your input on this!

Floyd Gadd

Jeff Deutschle wrote:

But you may end up having much more downweight than you planned on. I
think it is good that you removed the spring rail, but since you did
not subtract that weight from your target downweight, when the spring
rail is reinstalled it will be heavier.