[pianotech] Downbearing question

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 31 03:35:59 MDT 2009

Hi William:

I'll have to get back to you on that one with a picture.  Fowler is the
maker's name.  It is a  dial gauge with  on a bar, with two fixed feet about
2 inches apart at the ends.  A middle foot goes up or down as it contacts
the bridge and is contacted to the dial.  This gives the readings, as the
two end feet are parked on the top of the strings.  Usually I center it on
the bridge to get my readings.  Moving it to the front or back bridge pins
will give you an idea of the front bearing and back bearing relationships.

Will