[pianotech] Temperaments...again

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Sat Jun 6 21:46:38 MDT 2009

Hi Julia,

I have a professor who has Werk. III on his piano and loves it. However, there are certain keys that have too much "bite" for me, especially when playing more "modern" music. The keys of F# and C#, for instance, sound very busy. Milder WTs work much better. However, if you're in what I call the "smooth tonalities" it may sound "better" to you. This has been discussed soooooh much that I hesitate saying more.

Try playing something like a Hymn and transpose it to several different tonalities. If you still think "everything sounds more in tune" I would wonder if eating a lemon vs chocolate seems all the same too.<G> But maybe that's just me.

Regards,
Jim Busby BYU