[pianotech] Temperaments...again

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 7 04:50:03 MDT 2009

I don't think it's a matter which temperament is better as  arguments could
be made for or against any type of  temperament.  Keep in mind that ET has
one strong advantage over all other temperaments and that is it's
flexibility in allowing composers many more possibilities for modulations
and harmony. From a pianists perspective, it allows a great amt. of music
which will be useable for them.
Does ET take away from the purity of some intervals? Sure, a bit.  But not
enough to loose sleep over. I still say a good tasteful ET done with the
appropriate musical stretch can rank with anything out there.
I, for one, have been through the whole gamut of temperaments. There was my
ET only phase, then my HT phase, and now I'm back to almost the ET
phase...with an occasional HT thrown in.
I do think it's very important to expose customers to HT, if nothing more
than to teach and demonstrate how tuning has evolved. I've done a fair amt.
of HT for budding pianists as a way to illustrate what some of the earlier
composers were thinking and dealing with when writing in that mode. I use
this as a teaching moment and will take pieces like the Moonlight Sonata, or
any of the Chopin Nocturnes and explain what those key signatures sound like
in a HT mode. Then explain to them that in order to get the right affect,
the composers had to break up the chord in an  arpeggiated segment in order
not to sound offensive.
But say what you like, almost all my customers who have asked for HT in the
past, have all asked to go back to ET from this point forward.
Just my experience.
Tom Servinsky