[pianotech] Simon and Garfunkel Piano

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Jun 28 12:45:05 MDT 2009

Very good post, Michael:

I would add that most of those people on stage working at the same time as
you are professionals who want to do their job to the very best of their
abilities, just like you.  And my mom said, you catch more flies with honey
than vinegar.  As soon as you get to the show, find out what the schedule
really is, not the one you were told a week before.  That way you can at
least  begin working with the devil you know.

A measure of a sense of humor really helps too.  Crack a few jokes now and
then, but don’t get carried away.  That way, they at least won’t think you
are an asshole, and might actually cut you some slack if possible.

Your bad attitude hurts only yourself.  Nobody else up there gives a s__t.

It is NOT your job to make the piano perfect.  If that happens, great, we
always hope for that.  The best concert technicians (I am not one of them)
can make split second decisions and are really good at the art of the
possible – what’s the most I can do in the setting I have been given?

I learned everything Michael says in spades about 15 years ago at the Mount
Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, when I was tuning for a
dinner for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Bretton Woods
Conference (Roosevelt, Stalin, Churchill).  It was July, the piano had been
sitting on a dirt floor under a porch for 3 days, wasn’t even set up on
stage at my scheduled time.  I can’t remember how sharp the piano was, but
it was North of the Arctic Circle, and was to be used with a chamber
orchestra.  By the time, we got it set up, the stage crew was working and 50
waters were unfolding and setting up tables.  I  was in full-on pissed off
freak out mode.  It was impossible.

And that was the loveliest word of all, impossible.  I realized that the
situation was impossible, and that all I could do was all I could do.  I
then totally relaxed and calculated my strategy.  I did some work, then left
for 3 hours to go do another concert tuning, came back and tuned my brains
out in a much quieter setting (still very time constrained), and was just
finishing up as the patrons were walking in the door for dinner.

I gave them a fat bill, and they paid it no questions asked.  I felt like I
had accomplished something in a difficult situation and given them real
value.  So I was happy and they were happy.  What’s not to like?

Since then, when I do this work, I work at being relaxed and totally focused
on the task at hand.   You will give them your best work that way.  It is
your job to manage the situation, and you start by managing yourself.

Will Truitt