[pianotech] hammer flange verdigris

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:24:19 PST 2009

 You can temporarily free them up with engine starter fluid, but it won't be
a permanent solution.  ("Like mildew, it will return.")
    Has anyone ever figured out what the exact chemical reaction is between
the bushing felt additives and the center pin plating, or exactly what
verdigris is, chemically?
    --David Nereson, RPT

Hello list:

  I am rebushing a set of Steinway hammer flanges that have significant
green / black verdigris. Hammers had 1/2 to two swings on the typical swing
test.  My question is about the flange / birdseye.  Is there a good way to
flush the birdseye to get the verdigris out, and what solution would one use
??
    Thanks..... I'll contingue my bushing and wait for a reply.
    Dave McKibben