[pianotech] slow paying customers revisited

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 4 12:59:19 PST 2009

>     I tuned for a local college for 18 years and quit after some years of getting paid way
>     in arrears. My replacement, who is younger and obviously wiser, devised a policy of billing
>     for all the pianos he would be tuning and when the check finally arrived in the music
>     department office, he did the work.
>     Tom Cole

I've waited way too long for way too big a check way too many
times, but advance payment waiting in school service work
wouldn't have a chance of working for me. There's always a "by
the way", consisting of a broken string, pedal repair,
sticking keys, loose flanges, side and casters knocked clear
off going through doors at high speed, grand upside down in
the orchestra pit, or some such list of minor repairs that
aren't going to be on the waiting check. So you get to make
out two invoices, and wait for (and track) the second invoice
through another birthday. I suppose it depends on where you
draw your personal paininthebutt line.

Ron N