[pianotech] Database for Piano Business

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Wed Mar 4 14:04:47 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Duaine & Laura Hechler
<dahechler at att.net> wrote:
>> OK - Gotcha - Mac is NOW also running a modified version of Linux ........
>
> Yes, I'm a Linux advocate BUT the above is true - no matter how many ways
> you want to deny it.

Haha, veering way off-topic now.

If, in your original statement, by "Linux" you meant: the Unix-like
operating system kernel developed by Linus Torvalds, and the
collection of FSF software known as the GNU utilities which give its
various distributions command-line level POSIX compliance; and if by
"running a modified version of" you are referring to the Darwin kernel
running on all modern Macs, which is an *actual* descendant of BSD
Unix, then your original statement if factually *false*.  It would be
more accurate to say that Linux is a modified version of the Mac
operating system.

Your subsequent post drives the point home even further.  Linux may be
a currently popular variant of Unix-like operating systems, but its
heritage is that of a bastard child who made good and has returned to
enjoy the company of his better bred (though less popular, and out of
favor) peers.

The enormous amount of software that runs at the abstraction level
*above* the kernel are what matter to business people, and make the
salient features of a "Mac" or "Linux" computer relevant, and in that
respect the market has made the proper choice -- so far.

I am, actually, also a Linux advocate, but for the right people, and
the right purposes, and it is a rare person in the small-business
world who will find themselves suited to maintaining a Linux system.
And those people know who they are :-)

Jim