[pianotech] Agraffes -- Mason & Hamlin BB

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 4 14:12:06 PST 2009

Nick Gravagne wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Agraffes recently removed from a Boston M&H BB (#35000 circa 1927) are
> dimensioned at 0.280" stud (includes threads), and near as I can tell the
> TPI is metric at 0.75 but I don't take this to be accurate. Still, I
> couldn't get the gage's 32 or 36 TPI to line up right with the threads.

They're 34tpi. Been there.

> The standard 1/4" stud just falls in the hole.
>
> A prior tech removed the originals and "cleaned" them up by sand blasting,
> or so it seems by the slightly pitted appearance; otherwise nothing is bent
> or weird looking. The string holes have not been touched or redressed.
>
> Pianotek does not offer this size (that I can see from the catalog), neither
> does Schaff. The idea of plugging and re-tapping for standard agraffes is,
> of course, possible but relatively time consuming, and there is no room for
> error.
>
> Anyone replaced these recently, and if so with what? Any reconditioning
> anecdotes worth sharing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick Gravagne, RPT

Word was, last time this came up about eight years ago, that
Joel Rappaport had someone making up a bunch of these for
direct replacement. Haven't heard a word since. Lacking
anything better that I know of, I'd probably tap them out and
sleeve them back down to a standard size with brass. Very much
a pain, but it's a good fix.
Ron N