[pianotech] Capo Bars

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 5 01:29:40 PST 2009

Good question... and I'm looking forward to reading the replies.  FTR,
Bohemia pianos, a spinoff of Petrof after the splitup of Czechoslavakia
actually did do this for a while... I'm unsure if they still do. They
used some kind of bronze alloy I believe. Perhaps its a question of
tooling and expense ?

RicB

    Why do manufacturers harden capo bars rather than cast (or grind)
    the underside of the strut flat, rout out a groove to receive a
    steel rod of proper radius, shape and hardness and insert it there
    where it could, when it's worn, be easily changed and where the
    consistency would be more easily controlled.  Is there a compelling
    reason not to do it that way?