[pianotech] First hammer job - considerations

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 08:25:07 PST 2009

Hi Julia,

It is very satisfying to install a raw set of hammers from scratch.  If you are up for doing the measuring, calculating, sanding, drilling, gluing and cutting (all at least once, right?), then you should go for it.  I would also direct you, however, to a recent post by Ed Sutton in response to someone else's inquiry about how deep they should get in their first hammer job.  If memory serves, Ed emphasized the importance of being well-familiarized with regulation and understanding the whys and wherefores of hammer installation before processing a raw set on your own. The original post asked about tooling, and Ed offered the sage wisdom to tool up your mind first.

Also, in my experience, knuckles that have been in service long enough for their respective hammers to have worn out need replacing.  Makes a big difference, IMHO.  Since they are attached to the shank, and new shanks make for a more professional hammer replacement job, I highly recommend replacing shanks and flanges when replacing hammers.

Keep us posted about what you decide and how it goes.  The adventure continues!

Alan Eder