[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 6 11:53:57 PST 2009

Hi Again Jeff.

You are correct in that the P-12ths ET does not give the same exact kind
of tuning that the P-12ths tuning does. And whilst I insist that I am
barking up a very similar tree indeed to Stopper, and also insist that
all my own work has been completely independent of his, I will be the
first to underline that I suspect his approach is more refined then
mine.... especially with regards to the temperament area itself. His
software makes it easy so all the usual good reasons for buying an ETD
are applicable to be sure.

If, however, any of you are a glutton for doing it yourself... and want
to pursue this on your own... I still recommend the original TuneLab 97
as the best way of putting together a P-12ths tuning for manually
combining your ears, your knowledge of partials matching, and an ETD's
precision for getting in to this P-12ths thing yourself. And I still
wish Robert Scott would provide a stand alone tuning curve editor for
Pocket PC ala the type that was in TL 97.

I find it most interesting indeed, that whatever differences Stoppers
refined approach and my own more "home- made", they both share two very
important things. One, they are based on the idea that the 12th is a
better tuning tool then the octave. And two... the both (when properly
executed) seem to work well on just about any piano around... with no
stretch alternative. That tells me one thing very very clearly. Imposing
the P12th using 12th types on an instruments inharmonicity is indeed the
first "one size fits all" approach to tuning. The P-12 IS the stretch,
to oversimplify

Bottom line... fwiw... I recommend ETD enthusiasts who just want the
tool and not the head scratching everywhere to purchase Stoppers
software. No other ETD will automatically do this tuning for you, and
its worth having... whichever way you do it.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric:

    Of course you can call me Jeff.

    Thank you for your reply and for posting the graph (long ago) that
    you mentioned. I remember looking at it a number of times before the
    concept sunk in. It was very enlightening!

    No, your post was not too long. I was able to follow what you said,
    and it confirmed what I suspected. Fifths may or may not get wide in
    the treble. It depends on the stretch. And it also answered an
    unspoken question. “Modern Tuning Theory” does not produce the same
    results as P12 tuning.