[pianotech] Epoxy

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sat Mar 7 15:03:57 PST 2009

Hey, all!  I just got back from epoxy-shimming a soundboard.  The local
Woodcrafter store only had System 3 epoxy (not the West system I usually
use).  I found out that the System 3 mixes up thicker right out of the gate,
and I found myself wishing that I had a heat gun with me to get the stuff to
go deeper, faster.  It worked, however, as I could see some spots slowly
sinking in.  Two passes today, and it will take very little filling-in when
it cures, it looks like.
    I also found that the stuff will thicken with West System filleting
blend, as there were some cracks way under the tail that I could not get to
with blue tape to dam off.  Thicken to peanut butter consistency, and stuff
in the cracks, wipe off excess immediately with a wet rag.  I think it will
turn out well.
    Oh, by the way,  I realize that a new board and block were in order, but
the job was contracted to me by another tooner, and he couldn't get the
money out of them to do it right.
    Anyone out there have any other experiences with System 3 epoxy?  It
mixes up with a stiff molasses consistency, rather than honey, like the West
System.  It went through my glue injectors, albeit rather slowly.

Clark Sprague, RPT