[pianotech] Aural tuning question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 7 20:45:26 PST 2009

> So you get to a piano that is extremely flat, say one full note or more,
> and you tune A4 with a tuning fork.
>
> How do you find the major third or any other note, other than an octave?
>
> I'm trying to understand how you would to a piano that flat without an ETD.
>
> Duaine

By listening, just like if the piano was close to pitch, only
with a preliminary pulling the string up an approximate
anticipated amount (determined when you set the A) *WHILE*
listening. How do you chip a piano up to pitch after
restringing with an ETD when nothing is a predictable degree low?
Ron N