[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Sun Mar 8 01:42:32 PST 2009

Due to copyright issues i have to ask euro-piano (the european
techicians journal) if i can scan my article from 1988, (which has
been translated into 5 languages), to make it available online.

As this journal number (3/1988) is no longer available from euro-
piano, i see a good chance that they will give their general ok.
If so, i put it on my homepage and send a note to the list when it is
available.

The main content of the article deals first with the discovery of the
natural form of the fifths circle, which is in fact a circle of twelve
duodecimes and nineteen octaves.
This initial discovery is the key that allows the thinking in
"duodecimes instead of ocaves" over the standard equal temperament or
Serge Cordier´s "pure fifths instead of octaves" method. This is very
different from making "every interval sounding as pure as possible" as
proposed in the Schulze article from 1982.

The 1988 original "Stopper-Stimmung" method described in this article
starts with setting up the temperament duodecime(P12) with a spanner
tool (which compensates inharmonicity then, see picture on my
homepage) and fitting in the temperament with a protocol of your
choice into this duodecime interval and proceeding as further described.

The aural OnlyPure method was introduced in 2004 and is a refined
temperament setup with the use of "pure tuned" three note combinations
of fourths/fifths and octaves/fifths, delivering an exact slope (not
only smoothness) of interval progression, which is more difficult to
obtain with the standard two note protocols whithin an octave.

regards,

Bernhard Stopper